Working with government, the tertiary sector, industry and the community the Playford Trust provides a range of scholarships for high achieving South Australian students to develop the research and skills base required to advance areas of strategic importance for South Australia.
The Playford Trust in partnership with WSP offers up to two $7,000 engineering and science scholarships for students in Honours or 4th year in the fields of civil, structural, mechanical, or electrical engineering or environmental science.
WSP is a globally recognised professional services firm employing over 36,000 people, mainly engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors, other design professionals, as well as various environmental experts. The firm provides services to transform the built environment and restore the natural environment, and its expertise ranges from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, and from developing the energy sources of the future to enabling new ways of extracting essential resources.
The successful applicants will have the opportunity to develop their skills in and enhance their industry participation through a summer vacation placement with WSP. The scholarship allows for up to 8 weeks of work experience to be completed with WSP. The work experience and level of commitment will be negotiated between the successful students and WSP.
Work projects may range from technical engineering design, site inspections/visits/surveys, design modelling within either the Transport, Property Resources, Environmentor Water sectors within WSP, through to participation in working groups focussing on internal operations and efficiency.
As a business that pro-actively supports and engages in sustainable design practices, WSP seeks to sponsor a student with enthusiasm and drive, to deliver outcomes that add value to its business and to its clients.
- Students are enrolled to undertake Honours or 4th year in 2018 at any one of the three South Australian universities in the fields of civil, structural, mechanical, or electrical engineering or environmental science.
- Preference will be given to students who have a keen focus on developing skills in technical engineering and consulting, and have confidence and experience with human interaction and digital communication.
- Students are Australian citizens or a holder of a permanent resident visa and are South Australian residents who are likely to spend a significant part of their career in South Australia or are otherwise likely to provide a benefit to the State.
- Students are high achievers, with an excellent undergraduate academic record.
- Students are of good character with preference given to students that display leadership potential.
Nomination and Selection Process
The Playford Trust calls for nominations from students or from the three South Australian Universities. Students should only apply with the support of their university.
The Trust reserves the right to accept or reject any or all of the nominations if it considers the nominees do not reflect the objectives of the Trust or do not meet the high standards consistent with the status of this award. In consultation with WSP, the Board of the Playford Trust will make the final selection.
The closing date for applications is Friday 13 October 2017
Find out more here: http://playfordtrust.com.au/project/wspparsons-brinckerhoffplayford-trust-scholarship/